The law is very complex and varies by focus area, location, and details of each specific case. Personal injury law is no exception. Personal injury law involves a combination of statutes, common law, and legal precedents. The application of legal doctrines and precedents to unique cases requires a deep understanding of the law.
The frequently asked questions below are not to be taken as legal advice and Liriano Law always recommends you seek legal council for your particular situation. One of our goals at Liriano Law Firm is to keep people informed of their rights and information pertaining to personal injury law, so we have compiled a list of some of the more common questions that are brought to us in regards to this specific legal area of focus. If you have any additional questions, do not hesitate to reach out to Carmen Liriano for more details and information.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for a Personal Injury Lawyer:
- How much is my case worth?
-This is likely the most frequent question a personal injury attorney gets asked. Determining the value of a personal injury case is a complex process that depends on many various factors and unfortunately, there is no one-size-fits-all answer. Some of the elements that impact how much your case is worth includes but is not limited to: the extent of injuries incurred, treatment of those injuries, lost wages, pain and suffering, property damage, and other economic and non-economic damages. For more information, see our post “Factors Affecting the Value of Your Personal Injury Settlement.”
- What qualifies as a personal injury case?
– A personal injury case is any case that involves seeking compensation for injuries or damages suffered as a result of someone else’s negligence, intentional actions, or strict liability.
- How much is my case worth?
- What types of cases fall under personal injury law?
– Personal injury law covers a wide range of cases, including car accidents, slip and fall incidents, medical malpractice, product liability, workplace accidents, and more.
- How do I know if I have a valid personal injury case?
– The best thing you can do is to consult with a personal injury lawyer to determine the validity of your case and evaluate the strength of your case. Generally, you need to establish that someone else’s negligence or wrongful conduct is what led to or caused your injuries. A skilled personal injury attorney will easily be able to tell if your case is considered valid for a personal injury case. Liriano Law welcomes free consultations if you are unsure or if you would like to discuss the details of your particular case.
- What should I do immediately after an accident or injury?
-The most important thing you should do is to first seek medical attention. Document, or have a loved one document every step along the way – from photos of the incident, gathering witness information, keeping medical records, etc. It’s crucial to report the incident to the appropriate authorities as quickly as possible. For more information on documenting evidence along the way and how to do so, view this previous post.
- How long do I have to file a personal injury claim?
-The time limit within which you can file a personal injury claim is known as the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations varies depending on what jurisdiction you are in and the type of personal injury case. The easiest answer to this is as soon as possible! It’s essential to consult with a personal injury lawyer promptly, as there are time limits for filing claims. A skilled personal injury attorney will know the specifics for different types of cases in your jurisdiction.
- Do I have to go to court for a personal injury case?
-Not necessarily. Many personal injury cases are resolved through negotiations and settlements. However, if a fair settlement cannot be reached, a lawsuit may be necessary.
- How much does hiring a personal injury lawyer cost?
– Many personal injury lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning they only get paid if you receive compensation. The fee is typically a percentage of the awarded amount. Be sure to ask your personal injury lawyer about how they receive compensation up front and ask questions to make sure there is no confusion about how, how much, and when you pay them.
- How long does it take to resolve a personal injury case?
– The timeline varies based on the complexity of the case, the extent of injuries, and other factors. Some cases are settled quickly, while others may take months or even years, especially if they go to trial.
- What role does insurance play in a personal injury case?
– Insurance companies often handle compensation for personal injury claims. Their role includes but is not limited to provide coverage for the defendant, investigation, negotiation, settlements, and legal defense. It is important to understand that insurance companies are profit-driven entities, and their primary goal is to minimize the amount of money paid out in claims. A very large part of a personal injury lawyer’s tasks is to negotiate with insurance companies and this can be a very complex process.
Remember, these are general FAQs, and the specifics may vary based on your location and the nature of your case. Consult with a personal injury lawyer for advice tailored to your situation.